Sunday 30 November 2014

From A Crowded Street...

As I walk through the crowded streets, horns screeching behind me and people loitering around me, I wondered with disdain the terrible lack of purpose or identity in the vile lives of these people.

But somehow and suddenly I asked myself, who am I to condescend? What is my identity? What purpose do I fulfil?

Interesting and intriguing thought, eh? As the long road with its monotonous pattern of potholes crawls beneath me, my thoughts assumed a similar path, never reaching a turning or a junction. And abruptly it reminded me of a bookseller I had met a few days back who said that one’s life is for doing and doing is all that we do and nothing else matters.

Ok, so does that mean ‘doing’ is the purpose of life? Then what should I do? Since I don’t much encourage myself to think about future, I thought about today and I decided that I should write a poem today.

Ah! Then my purpose at this moment is to write a poem. What about my identity? Am I a poet?

Perhaps yes; perhaps no. I am in the process to begin thinking about writing a poem. But I have written some poems already, so does that make me a poet? Or am I a poet only when I am writing a poem? Perhaps I am a poet when I am enjoying myself while writing a poem and when I satisfy myself almost to the point of saturation by completing what I started.

Then I am a poet only for myself and my identity as a poet is only for that moment, isn’t it?
What am I after that? Just a mass of interlinked organic matter?
Oh! Come on! I crave to be more than that!

My thoughts don’t go any further. So, as of yet, I conclude that every moment that passes bestows on me a new identity which constitute to form a set of similar successive identities identified as ‘Sarath Warrier’ by my environment due to the similar kind of relationship that this self-conscious, egocentric mass of interlinked organic matter exercises with his surrounding environment.
    


Now that we have reached a conclusion about me, you might want to think about the ‘vile people’.

By the way, Who are YOU

No comments:

Post a Comment